Monday, January 18, 2010

Listverse list of the top 10 American Short Story Writers

10 Greatest American Short Story Writers - Listverse:

"I must confess, as much as I love British writers, the ones that I always come back to are American. America really has dominated modern English literature – not just in the pulp fiction arena but in serious literature as well. From the moment that America found its voice in the world of writing, it has had an incredibly significant presence. This list looks at ten of the masters of the short story genre from the USA.

10
Chuck Palahniuk
9
Washington Irving
8
Isaac Asimov
7
Ray Bradbury
6
Stephen King
5
J.D. Salinger
4
O. Henry
3
John Updike
2
F. Scott Fitzgerald
1
Edgar Allen Poe"

Some I've read, some not. The piece on Chuck Palahniuk claims the people have fainted upon hearing one of his shorts read aloud! I'll have to pick up "Haunted" soon.